Sunday, December 25, 2011

No more suggestions

KK and Teresa cannot be pried from their room.  It's clean, for one thing, inspired by the thought that Mema would want to see it when she came Friday to celebrate Christmas.  Poof!  Months' worth of clothing, precious drawings, and pieces of paper disappeared.  I'm still not sure where they went, but the floor is clean and vacuumed, and they love all that space.  Mema did, in fact, want to see it, and were they pleased with all her praise!  Their giggles have continued in a steady stream all day as they listen to Teresa's new Michael Buble CD and make up dance routines together.

Last week I wasn't sure we would ever be here again.  When I picked the girls up for Christmas break they were snippy right away.  Just the picking and snitty stuff kids do when they are tired.  After a few snarling exchanges between the two, I suggested, "OK, girls, when we get home you go straight to bed and don't get up for at least half an hour."  That's usually enough time for them to fall asleep and wake two hours later, cheerful and pleasant once more.

This didn't go over well.

"I'm NOT tired!"  "It's just that she...."  "Why do I have to go to sleep?"  etc.
Then I shot straight.

"OK, you don't have to go to sleep, but you DO have to stay in your bed at least 30 minutes.  I think you are tired from all the fun we've been having and from staying up late, but whether you are tired or not, I am tired and I WILL get a nap without anyone disturbing me."  They know I mean business when they hear the nap speech.

I went straight to MY room when we got home, with Teresa coming in after a few minutes to join me.  She argued a bit that being tired wasn't the problem.  It didn't help that KK, across the hall in their room, kept running down the hall to do this or that before she got to the "staying in your bed" part.  I really was tired, which means I was cranky, and it didn't take long for Teresa's wheedling to wear me thin.

"Teresa, here's the deal.  You don't have to take a nap.  Just leave so I can, but when I get up I don't want to hear one unkind word."  Silence.

"OK, fine.  I will take a nap."  She turns over on her side.  More silence.  I'm just about asleep when her little voice says, "Mom?" 

"Whnnn?"

"I'm just checking.  If I do take a nap, that means I CAN say an unkind word? "

Silence on my end.   Now I'm not sleepy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning Teresa was the first child downstairs.  I was enjoying my first cup of coffee, and she sat on the steps and put her chin on her hands.  "I just can't figure out what to get KK for Christmas."

"What do you want to get her?"

"Well, something she would like."  Now, KK is nothing if not enthusiastic.  Very easy to buy for, thrilled about most everything.

"Teresa," I suggest, "pick anything you think.  KK likes everything!"

Teresa ponders a bit.  "She doesn't like pineapple." 

It's not even 8:00 on school break.  "Yeah, she doesn't really like pineapple, or me sometimes, or baths.  Well, actually it's me who doesn't like baths and she does if there are bubbles."

Trying to be helpful here, I look at the new bracelet Teresa just made me.  "Would you want to make her a bracelet?  We could get beads the color you think she'd like."

"That's not big enough."

"Well," I say in my wisest mom voice.  "You know, dear, Christmas isn't about getting big things.  God became a little tiny baby at Christmas, so it's not about getting her something big."

To which she replied,  "Jesus was bigger than a bracelet."

Yes, yes he was.  I'm going to stop giving suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment